[Radiance-general] Depth-of-field hack

Peter Apian-Bennewitz apian at pab-opto.de
Mon Aug 16 22:53:46 CEST 2004

Hi Mark

>I first tried pdfblur, which outputs a series of views, each
>of which can be rendered with rpict or created with pinterp.

I'm not quite sure I see the light here yet, but I'm interested, as
rshow had some experimental features of generating the views (actually
before realizing there are some cmdline tools buried deeply somewhere),
that's how the lower image at
http://www.pab-opto.de/radiance/render_vergleich/intro.htx was rendered
with 16 single views.

Before decompiling the rcalc script, could you briefly say why your
method is faster ?

To give a hint of the little bits I do understand: Out-of-focus pixels
average over a larger solid angle as in-focus ones. Even the solid-angle
of in-focus pixels is truly not zero, that's why we need oversampling to
avoid aliasing. Traditional methods calculate anti-aliased images with
shifted view points and directions which are than added to give the
blurred final result. Do I understand correctly that your method
incorporates the depth-of-field information into the per-pixel averaging
over the per-pixel-solid-angle ? Speed advantage would than come by
avoiding unnecessary rays. Is there an easy way to understand how ?
With the old method, each of the images has the same size, so one pixel
is effectively oversampled by the number of images. Whether in-focus or
not. Are you saying that the out-of-focus ones need more sampling than
the in-focus ones ? And the in-focus don't gain much from the higher
sampling ?

TIA
Peter

PS: nice Radiance webpages of yours

--
 pab-opto, Freiburg, Germany, http://www.pab-opto.de
 [see web page to check digital email signature]