[Radiance-general] photon-mapping on the macintosh

Giulio Antonutto Giulio.Antonutto at arup.com
Wed Apr 28 15:29:06 CEST 2004

hi,
I managed to compile it on a powerbook 1.25 G4
so the answer  it's: yes it works!
my system has:
10.3.3 panther
radiance 3.5 binaries
pmap 3.28

the way I did it is:

download the archives from
http://www.ise.fhg.de/alt-aber-aktiv/radiance/photon-map/download.html

put all the archives .tar.gz in the same new directory called Test ( just a
name.. )

you decompress radiance archive (rad3R5.tar.gz) in the directory Test with
tar -xvf rad3R5.tar.gz

then there should be a new directory called ray inside Test. (I do this way
because stuffit doesn't work...)

now from the same location, inside Test, type
tar -xvf pmap-3.28.tar.gz

you should have only two .gz file and a ray directory....

now:

1 - go into ray

2 - type ./makeall install from ray

3 - select the text editor you like (pico it's my preferred)

4 - select a directory for the compiled binaries like ~/Desktop/bin (must be
created before; be carefull with permission)

5 - choose 7th option (macosX)

6 - select the library location (be carefull with permission)

7 - select your options by editing the file, if you dare ;-)) (I use
defaults...)

should be ok....

cheers,
giulio

PS sometimes I use this optimisation with G4 and radiance (not with pmap):
(you get up to 30% more)
 -fast -mcpu=7450
but could be a little buggy sometimes....