[Radiance-general] Ranimate / Mkillum issue

Greg Ward gward at lmi.net
Mon Apr 19 01:26:20 CEST 2004

Hi Mark,

> From: "Mark de la Fuente" <MdelaFuente at wmtao.com>
> Date: April 18, 2004 9:50:58 AM PDT
>
> ** Proprietary **

Huh?  If this information is really "proprietary," the last thing you
should be doing is posting it to a public discussion list.  I assume
you meant another word, here.

> [...]
> The problem is that the illum.dat files are not being updated for each
> image and considering the fact that the sky is changing for each frame,
> it seems to me like they should be.  Perhaps ranimate was really only
> meant to deal with static lighting scenes with movable objects/camera
> positions?

Indeed, ranimate's support of changing illumination and geometry is
minimal.  You are responsible for any frame updates yourself within
your "genoctree_a.script" file.  You are free to use rad to help you
with this.  Your script file currently changes the sky and expects
ranimate to figure out what that means, but how could it?  What you
need to do is make the octree created by rad depend on some file that
is altered in your script, like so:

	frame=$1
	time=`ev "5.25+($frame/4)"`
	gensky 3 21 $time +s -a 38.7 -o 90.5 -m 90 > sun.rad
	rad -v 0
	cat ./octree/lobby_a.oct

Then, to "lobby_a.rif" you should add:

	scene= sun.rad sky.rad

Your current rad input file is broken in the sense that it doesn't have
the information it needs to generate correct illum's.  This is where
your problems began.

Hope this helps.