[Radiance-general] No rendering on the other side of glass? check this out?

Georg Mischler schorsch at schorsch.com
Wed Apr 14 17:27:07 CEST 2004

Rob Guglielmetti wrote:

> John Sutherland wrote:
>
> > Ahhhh ok, makes sense?.. this is not what I was expecting. As the inside
> > is dark, and so is the glass, I was expecting the glass not to reflect
> > much light? What properties do I need to play with to get what I was
> > expecting, ie darker looking glass from the outside, not reflecting
> > much? You must know what I mean, like stainglass on churches, its very
> > murky from outside, definetly cant see much reflection in it?
>
> If you're using trans for the glass, you could give it some roughness;
> that would help.  I think there's also a .cal file that simulates a
> dirty surface?  Both things would help your cause. Right now you have a
> mirror-smooth surface there, which I believe is causing your problem there.

You could simply make the reflected component diffuse, which
is probably quite appropriate for this kind of glazing.
Especially on the outside, the appearance is usually
determined by dirt...

-schorsch

--
Georg Mischler  --  simulations developer  --  schorsch at schorsch com
+schorsch.com+  --  lighting design tools  --  http://www.schorsch.com/