[Radiance-general] Exterior light levels and daylight factors

Rob Guglielmetti rpg at rumblestrip.org
Tue Apr 6 17:37:21 CEST 2004

Hi Caroline,

First off, there is a Desktop-Radiance Yahoo forum, and you should
definitely ask around on there too, especially for your falsecolor scale
questions.  I'm not familiar with the Windows version(s) of the various
Radiance binaries.

Giulio gave you some good leads there regarding sky simulations.  This
kind of question pops up on here regularly, and indeed I went through
the exact same experience as you.  I'd read about how accurate Radiance
could be (read that again, the semantics are important), then did my
first daylight simulation and was disappointed.  Lots of words have been
put down on paper about the difference between real, measured skies and
simulated ones.  Papers with lots of Greek symbols fill the servers at
universities & research facilities worldwide.  Greg Ward can cut through
the haze as well as anyone regarding this, but being all smart and
"mathy", his explanations still confused me for a while.  Eventually I
got it:

Nature is way too complicated.  To think that one or even a thousand
formulas could mathematically describe the luminance distribution of the
nearly infinite number of skies is pure folly.

What has been proven by Dr. Mardaljevic is that Radiance can simulate
lit environments with a high degree of accuracy.  What he had was an
incredibly fine dataset of real sky luminance and building interior
illuminance.  When this data was fed to Radiance, he got very close to
the same answers.  But most of us do *not* have an incredibly fine
dataset of real sky luminance and building interior illuminance, we have
a lat/long, maybe some sky turbidity info, and the woefully inadequate
suite of sky conditions descriptors "clear, intermediate and overcast".
  Whoopie. So, it's no wonder that our initial forays into daylight
simulation with Radiance tend to be confidence shakers.

The truth is Radiance can be as accurate as you want, but most of us are
starting with input that is inherently inaccurate.  It's a good starting
point, but you simply can't expect your results to match up to reality
with any kind of high precision when using these basic CIE skies.  Don't
get me wrong, the CIE skies can still be used to make valid design
decisions, and certainly comparative studies of building form and
material will be quite valid.  But it's when people want to take a light
meter and have the LCD display show the same number that Radiance spat
out that the disappointment creeps in.  For pure numeric accuracy, which
Dr. M proved is possible, you need more measured info about your site.
My experience with Radiance is that it's very very good, certainly the
best available tool out there for daylighting analysis.  But I don't
expect my numbers to be ±5%, or even ±10% sometimes.  But I believe ±20%
is a fair goal.  Our faith in the numbers is based on experience and
intuition and we have to work hard to get this point across to our
clients all the time.  In my view, it's been worth the effort.

Hopefully the Greek symbols types will weigh in on this too; it's an
interesting topic.

----

      Rob Guglielmetti

e. rpg at rumblestrip.org
w. www.rumblestrip.org

And, while I'm thinking of it, from Ian Ashdown's excellent "Thinking
Photometrically" Lightfair course notes
(http://www.helios32.com/Thinking%20Photometrically%20II.pdf):

"One major problem is that the calculations are necessarily based on the
various CIE or IESNA sky models, which predict illuminances based on
average sky conditions. It is not uncommon for instantaneous measured
illuminances to be more than twice or less than half of the mean
illuminances predicted by clear and overcast sky models; the situation
for partly cloudy skies is even worse.

"As for daylighting calculations, it is likely that Jongewaard (1993) is
correct – the results are only as accurate as the accuracy of the input
data. Done with care, it should be possible to obtain ±20 percent
accuracy in the photometric predictions. However, this requires detailed
knowledge and accurate modeling of both the indoor and outdoor
environments. If this cannot be done, it may be advisable to walk softly
and carry a calibrated photometer.