[Radiance-general] Exterior light levels and daylight factors

Giulio Antonutto Giulio.Antonutto at arup.com
Tue Apr 6 16:39:06 CEST 2004

I did some validation measurements, some years ago, for my thesis... (not as
good as some others did before me... )
The values I had were quite different from the expected (radiance
calculated).
At the time I had not reliable information on the value of the turbidity
factor for the area I was studying.... what happened then it is another
story...
but going back to your problem:

I think that calculated illuminance can be the same only if you have a way
of measuring the sky luminance distribution.... (not CIE standard but
real...)
I think that the best paper you can find on it is the Mardaljevic PHD
thesis...
(http://www.iesd.dmu.ac.uk/~jm/sg98.htm)

The values that you have aren't so bad... compared to mine (I remember
something like 30% RER..)
;-((

PS - a recent post pointed out the limits of simulating low altitude sun
skies... (Perez sky model have the same limitation with low angles, where
uncertainty is really high) ... so the only way is to override the sky
definition and constrain it to a known illuminance value... I guess... but
you have still no way of knowing the luminance dist...
---------------------
about the falsecolor images you should try to use on the dos terminal:
falsecolor -s maxvalue -n numberof intervals -l label -m multiplier -i
yourpicture > finalimage

if gives you an error try this:
falsecolor -s maxvalue -n numberof intervals -l label -m multiplier -ip
yourpicture > finalimage

where multiplier is:
179 for illuminance and luminance (depending on the type of image)
179/external_illuminance for daylight factor plots

cheers,
giulio