[Radiance-general] coffers, glows & illums

Rob Guglielmetti [email protected]
Mon, 15 Sep 2003 17:01:33 -0400

Fitzsimmons, Rob wrote:

> Hey Rob,
> I'm amazed you're getting those quality renders  in only 12 minutes?!
> (aside from the coffer bug) they look great.
> Is the speed increase due to using mkillum?

Hi Rob,

It's true!!  Even less than 12 minutes.  Yes, it's because of mkillum.
If you think of mkillum as a tool to generate an "ies file" for a
complex bit of geometry, it makes a lot of sense (to me).  You move the
coffer's contribution to the room illuminance from the indirect
calculation to the direct one, which is much faster.

So now I have a great looking room, but a bad-looking coffer.  The illum
bug that Georg & Greg have been discussing also seems to have shown up
for a visit in my current renderings.  =8-\

Before I can use Greg's tip about excluding the coffer materials, I need
to learn a bit about coming up with a valid -av number.  But, to be
honest, this already gives a good impression of the space.  The whole
point of the rendering was to see how bad the glare would be from the
coffers (answer: bad), which can be judged just fine from the direct
component of the glows.

That said, I would still like to get the coffers looking better. I will
have to revisit this problem when I have time...

----

      Rob Guglielmetti

e. [email protected]
w. www.rumblestrip.org