[Radiance-general] Re: -ar, -ad, -as, ahh $#*@!

John de Valpine [email protected]
Tue, 09 Sep 2003 20:06:22 -0400 (EST)

Hi Rob,

You should do version 2 or 3 (of the three scenarios indicated) for constucting the so-called impostr geometry for mkillum processing. In version 1 which I am guessing is what you used, you will have a number of potential problem areas (althought the image certainly looks a lot better): 1) overlapping geometry and materials, 2) 4 illums with normals pointing the wrong way. Now I am just going to hazard a guess that either one of these issues could cause the motting that you have noted on the floor (another possibility may be your glow material settings).

Of the two scenarios for illum geometry, I am going to say that 3 would actually be preferable, since you then remove 4 illum polygons  from processing and aviod some other possible pitfalls from the long skiny polygons and likely requiring an increas in the -ds parameter depending on how the distribution works. But to makethis work your one polygon should seal the coffer as you have indicated and not overlap the fixture/coffer geometry that hangs down. Thus if you have to cheat your coffer depth by a small amount in order to do this, this would probably be a good idea.

Finally you can exercise some control over the mkillum process based on how you set the paremeters giving you fairly low or high resolution data for simulating the fixture.

-Jack