[Radiance-general] Re: sky definition part 2

Karen Carrier [email protected]
Sat, 18 Oct 2003 10:55:48 -0700

Thank you Francesco for summarizing so nicely how gensky generates skies. I
agree that it would be useful to have a method that allows one to pick sky
models via .cal files

This might be particularly interesting since the CIE recently approved a new
"Standard General Sky" Model that replaces all previous CIE Overcast and
Clear Standard Sky definitions. It is generalized from the old CIE Clear Sky
formula (Kittler) and consists of 15 sky types of various luminance
gradations and scattering characteristics - one of them being the new
Standard Overcast Sky, and two others representing the new Standard Clear
Skies (one for low luminance turbidity, one for polluted atmospheres).

I have listed a few links below, if anyone is interested .....

http://www.cie.co.at/publ/abst/s011.html announcement of new 2003 standard
http://www.cie-usnc.org/images/CIE%20DS011_2.pdf copy of the draft standard
(I could not find the final version online - if anyone does please let me
know)
http://www.esim.ca/2002/documents/Proceedings/other2.pdf presentation by
Kittler with information on General Sky Standard (Esim 2002)

- Karen

Karen Carrier
M.ARCH
UC Berkeley