[Radiance-general] Re: sky definition part 2

Greg Ward [email protected]
Thu, 16 Oct 2003 08:02:08 -0700

Hi Zack,

It was great to meet you at the workshop, and I really enjoyed your
presentation.

I think you're making trouble for yourself by trying to adjust the
turbidity factor in gensky.  If you have the horizontal and diffuse
irradiance, or facsimilies thereof, you should be giving those to
gensky directly using the -B or -b and -R or -r options as we have been
discussing.

Just to clarify, gensky ALWAYS produces an accurate CIE sky
distribution.  Adjusting the turbidity or these other factors only
affects the absolute levels and the ratio between solar and sky
components.  It does not change the distribution of skylight.

This is not to say that the CIE sky model is the best.  It is just an
agreed upon standard, and therefore serves as a reasonable point for
comparison.  The Perez sky is probably a better approximation to actual
skies, particularly for the intermediate case.

As I said in the bit of e-mail you so aptly quoted, the absolute values
produced by gensky with the default settings are unreliable because
they are not based on weather data for your area.  If you have such
measurements, by all means use them, but don't adjust the turbidity --
go straight for the horizontal and diffuse specifications to gensky.
This overrides the turbidity approximation and makes it irrelevant.

I hope this helps.
-Greg

P.S.  I got an e-mail from Martin Moeck on the related topic of solar
efficacy, and include it here for discussion.  I don't know the right
answer, but I'm sure someone out there does...

Begin forwarded message: