[Radiance-general] Resolution Mismatch in Rpict.

Andrew Bissell [email protected]
Fri, 28 Nov 2003 11:55:48 -0000

Many thanks for all of the replies,

The 'top' command is indeed top, never knew that existed and it proved to be
a great help in solving this problem.  The limits for data and infact most
settings were already 'unlimited' when we checked so we were left with
watching 'top' to see what happened.

The machines we were running on generally had 64MB of RAM with 128MB swap
partitions, we added a couple of machines that had 128MB RAM with 1.2GB
swap, anyway when we ran rpeice on the higher spec machines with 'top'
running we saw that rpict peaked at 640MB of RAM use and rpiece / rpict
completed without failing.  When we ran rpiece on the lower spec machines
the error 'mismatch resolution etc' occurred exactly as we ran out of RAM
and SWAP space.

It is interesting to note that a ~300MB .oct requires 640MB or RAM and SWAP
space.

Once again thanks for the help, it's good to have found out more about Linux
as well as Radiance.  The only problem we have now is rebuilding our cluster
machines to increase the SWAP space.

Best Regards

Andrew