[Radiance-general] Resolution Mismatch in Rpict.

Jack de Valpine [email protected]
Wed, 26 Nov 2003 14:43:46 -0500

--------------040504070301090503090401

Hi Andrew and Greg,

We have encountered this before. Although at the moment I am not sure
that I can think of the cause(s). Here are some things to look at:

    * are you using a persist file (-PP) -  if it is left over some
      reason from something else then this can cause problems
    * is there an rpict process hanging around - this is also going to
      be associated with -PP, this can occur if a rpiece job dies
      unexpectedly or is killed and not cleaned up, clean up may need to
      occur by hand
    * are you using rpiece on something that runs really really fast - I
      have noticed that if your run rpiece on a scene that runs super
      fast or on a very small image that runs very fast  then things can
      get confused and die which I believe results in this kind of error
      as well.

If you can send further diagnostic information then it may help jar my
memory further on the topic.

-Jack

Greg Ward wrote:

> Hi Andrew,
>
> This error sounds suspiciously like a communication problem between
> rpiece and rpict, since the resolution string is the first thing
> rpiece tries to read back from rpict.  I'm sure it doesn't have
> anything to do with the octree or the -x and -y options or where they
> appear.  Does rpiece die right away, or only after it's done some
> work?  What machine(s) are you running on?  Rpiece talks to its rpict
> process over a standard Unix pipe/socket, which should be reliable.
> I'm quite puzzled by this error -- has anyone else on the list gotten
> this before?
>
> -Greg
>
>> From: Andrew Bissell <[email protected]>
>> Date: Wed Nov 26, 2003  10:15:03  AM US/Pacific
>>
>> We are running a .oct through rpiece and we get the 'resolution
>> mismatch in
>> rpict' error.  We have removed -x and -y settings from the .vf
>> files.  We
>> have set the horizontal and vertical angles at 80 degrees and 80
>> degrees.
>> Our .opt file sets -x and -y at 2048 and 2048.  The only other
>> thought we
>> have is that the .oct file has been created through adding up various
>> oct
>> files which have been created using different -r settings in oconv.
>>
>> Any help appreciated.
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Andrew

#	John E. de Valpine
#	president
#
#	visarc incorporated
#	http://www.visarc.com
#
#	channeling technology for superior design and construction

--------------040504070301090503090401

<head>
  <title></title>
</head>
Hi Andrew and Greg,<br>
We have encountered this before. Although at the moment I am not sure that
I can think of the cause(s). Here are some things to look at:<br>
<ul>
  <li>are you using a persist file (-PP) -&nbsp; if it is left over some reason
from something else then this can cause problems</li>
  <li>is there an rpict process hanging around - this is also going to be
associated with -PP, this can occur if a rpiece job dies unexpectedly or
is killed and not cleaned up, clean up may need to occur by hand</li>
  <li>are you using rpiece on something that runs really really fast - I
have noticed that if your run rpiece on a scene that runs super fast or on
a very small image that runs very fast &nbsp;then things can get confused and
die which I believe results in this kind of error as well.</li>
</ul>
If you can send further diagnostic information then it may help jar my memory
further on the topic.<br>
-Jack<br>
Greg Ward wrote:<br>
 cite="[email protected]">Hi Andrew, <br>
This error sounds suspiciously like a communication problem between  rpiece
and rpict, since the resolution string is the first thing rpiece  tries to
read back from rpict.&nbsp; I'm sure it doesn't have anything to do  with the
octree or the -x and -y options or where they appear.&nbsp; Does  rpiece die right
away, or only after it's done some work?&nbsp; What  machine(s) are you running
on?&nbsp; Rpiece talks to its rpict process over  a standard Unix pipe/socket,
which should be reliable.&nbsp; I'm quite  puzzled by this error -- has anyone
else on the list gotten this before? <br>
-Greg <br>
Date: Wed Nov 26, 2003&nbsp; 10:15:03&nbsp; AM US/Pacific <br>
We are running a .oct through rpiece and we get the 'resolution  mismatch
in <br>
rpict' error.&nbsp; We have removed -x and -y settings from the .vf files.&nbsp;  We
have set the horizontal and vertical angles at 80 degrees and 80  degrees.
Our .opt file sets -x and -y at 2048 and 2048.&nbsp; The only other thought  we
have is that the .oct file has been created through adding up various  oct
files which have been created using different -r settings in oconv. <br>
Any help appreciated. <br>
Regards <br>
Andrew <br>
<pre class="moz-signature" cols="$mailwrapcol">--
#	John E. de Valpine
#	president
#
#	visarc incorporated
#	<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.visarc.com">http://www.visarc.com</a>
#
#	channeling technology for superior design and construction</pre>

--------------040504070301090503090401--