[Radiance-general] RE: Getting the focal length of a Radiance camera

R Gillibrand [email protected]
Wed, 12 Nov 2003 18:00:25 -0000

Ah!
Thanks Greg, I thought the question was familiar when I asked it!
Rich

____________________________
Richard Gillibrand
Department of Computer Science,
University of Bristol,
Tel: 0117 9545256
____________________________

-----Original Message-----
From: Greg Ward [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: 12 November 2003 16:45
To: [email protected]
Cc: R Gillibrand
Subject: Re: Getting the focal length of a Radiance camera

Hi Rich,

Marcus Jacobs asked a similar question about focal lengths last month
on this group (Oct. 19th, in fact).

For a 35mm frame (which measures 36x24mm on the actual exposure), the
equation for the horizontal and vertical view angles (in degrees) is:

	h = 2*180/PI*atan(36/2/f)
	v = 2*180/PI*atan(24/2/f)

To derive the focal length from the view angle, you just invert these:

	f = 36/2/tan(PI/180/2*h)
	f = 24/2/tan(PI/180/2*v)

As you can see, there are two formulas above, which means that you can
derive the focal length from either the horizontal or the vertical view
angles, but they won't necessarily agree.  This is obvious because any
given Radiance view may not have the correct image aspect ratio to
match 35mm (or any other format) film.  You have what is known in math
as an "overdetermined problem."  You can choose to ignore this and
simply average the results from these two formulas, or pick the larger
or smaller of the two, depending on whether you wanted to fill the
frame completely or keep the image with black borders (i.e.,
"letterbox" format).

-Greg