[Radiance-general] Radiance - Mac Performance

Lars Grobe [email protected]
Fri, 30 May 2003 21:02:29 +0200 (MEST)

Hi!

First, I have just ordered my 12" Powerbook ;-) Second: my
experience is that rendering speed depends on memory (nothing
is as stupid as a rendering process on a fast machine waiting
for data from the swap!!!), cpu frequency and - that is really
important - the optimization of the compiler you are using!

I couldn't find great imporvements with radiance on 64bit so far.

However, one thing to mention - a stable 800MHz machine doing three
renderings over night is much more performant than a 3200MHz
machine which crashes three timer per rendering ;-) In my personal
experience, the "rendering speed" is not the critical point any more
in our days, much more is the stability of machines. I put 90% into
the preparation of a rendering, and only 10% in the actual render
process ;-)

So, these were some thoughts of someone who prefers to render his
pics on an old AMD K6-2 300 ;-) CU Lars.

Bitte l�cheln! Fotogalerie online mit GMX ohne eigene Homepage!