[Radiance-general] Radiance - Mac Performance

Marcus Jacobs [email protected]
Fri, 30 May 2003 02:40:25 +0000

Dear Group

I am in the evaluation phase in my quest to purchase a new computer. From
what I have been told, the Motorola G4 processor is far superior in
scientific calculations as compared to x-86 based processors (i.e.
Intel/AMD). If it weren't for the existing investment that I have in PC
based software (particularly software that utilizes a dongle which will not
work on a Mac even with virtual PC), I would probably purchase one. But
because of the existing investment that I do have in PC based software, I am
trying to do a cost versus benifit analysis for purchasing a Mac. Has anyone
here been able to do a rough estimate as to the decrease in rendering time
when using a Mac as compared to x-86 based processors. I was considering in
lieu of purchasing a Mac, I would purchase a dual Pentium 4 Zeon and compile
it on Linux. If I am correct, the GNU C compiler has a SSE2 optimization
option. Also I have l have looked at puchasing a AMDs 64 bit Opteron based
workstation. I do believe there can be some performance gains achieved if it
can be used in conjunction with a 64 bit Operating System. Anyway, you all
can see that i am very confused as to which direction I should take so any
advice is very much appreciated.

Thanks

Marcus D. Jacobs