[Radiance-general] indirect/direct photometric

John An [email protected]
Sun, 25 May 2003 02:42:58 -0400

--Apple-Mail-14-375850595

> From: John An <[email protected]>
> Date: Sun May 25, 2003  2:41:57  AM America/New_York
> To: [email protected]
> Subject: indirect/direct photometric
>
> Greg,
>
> Thanks again.
>

> Greg Ward wrote:
> I'll skip for now the question of why you're altering the output of
> ies2rad, and just try to answer your questions, first.
>
> I was following the instructions in Section 5.3.2.  It noted that for
> direct/indirect luminaires, this special method should be used.
> Besides, when I tried using the ies2rad command without modifying the
> results, I ended up with visible geometry emitting the light.  While I
> don't have a luminaire modeled yet, I eventually want to be able to
> look at the luminaire once it is modeled, so I assumed that altering
> the output of ies2rad so that an illum would eventually envelop the
> luminaire was the way to go.  Is there a better way of doing this?
>
> Also, when I examined the dimensions of the luminaire contained in the
> .ies file, it showed that the height was 0.  I'm assuming that the
> height of 0 is to address the shadow banding effect.  However, a
> non-existent height would mean that the geometry resulting from the
> ies2rad would never enclose the geometry of the luminaire unless the
> output of the ies2rad file was modified.
>
> So I guess my question now is, what is the best process of mapping the
> photometric data to a 'complex' luminaire so that the luminaire is
> visible?
>

> Greg Ward wrote:
> The -d? options affect the geometric dimensions that are output when
> you use the geometry supplied in the ies file.  When you specify your
> own illum sphere with the -i option, it assumes you mean to use the
> units you specify with the -d? option.  All that really changes is the
> first real argument to the brightdata primitive, which scales the vaues
> in the *.dat file appropriately.  The data file itself is (as you
> noted) unchanged.
>
> Understood.  Since my model is in inches, I should be using the -di
> option.
>

> Greg Ward wrote:
> Are you visualizing the source in rview?  If so, the defaults of -ds 0
> and -dj 0 mean that all light soruces will appear as if eminating from
> a point.  If you set -ds .2 and -dj .6 or so, you should get the result
> you expect.
>
> Yes, I was using rview (rview -vf *.vf -ab 3 *.oct).  As soon as I
> added the -ds .2 and -dj .6 options, I saw a linear profile.
>
> Thanks again, for putting up with my naive questions.
>

> John

--Apple-Mail-14-375850595

<bold>Date: </bold>Sun May 25, 2003  2:41:57  AM America/New_York

<bold>To: </bold>[email protected]

<bold>Subject: </bold>indirect/direct photometric

Thanks again.

<italic>

Greg Ward wrote:

I'll skip for now the question of why you're altering the output of

ies2rad, and just try to answer your questions, first.</italic>

<italic>Greg Ward wrote:

The -d? options affect the geometric dimensions that are output when

you use the geometry supplied in the ies file.  When you specify your

own illum sphere with the -i option, it assumes you mean to use the

units you specify with the -d? option.  All that really changes is the

first real argument to the brightdata primitive, which scales the
vaues

in the *.dat file appropriately.  The data file itself is (as you

noted) unchanged.</italic>

<italic>Greg Ward wrote:

Are you visualizing the source in rview?  If so, the defaults of -ds 0

and -dj 0 mean that all light soruces will appear as if eminating from

a point.  If you set -ds .2 and -dj .6 or so, you should get the
result

you expect.</italic>