[Radiance-general] Re: Trees in the holodeck

Greg Ward [email protected]
Sat, 24 May 2003 23:16:07 -0700

Well, I spent a couple of hours on this, and I did find a bug for some
vertical cylinders, but apparently this isn't the bug causing all the
problems -- at least on my Mac OS X X11 server (Apple's public beta).
I still get out-of-place cylinders, and when I look a bit closer and
isolate the problem cases, they render just fine.  It's only when
there's a whole bunch of geometry that the glu* routines in OpenGL seem
to go whacky.  I've given up at this point.  If the bug is mine, I have
no idea where it is or how it's coming about.  I'm reluctant to cop out
and call it an OpenGL bug, but I don't think the quadric rendering
routines are all that well tested, so it's a distinct possibility.  In
any case, I'm giving up on it.  The glrad program also seems to be
broken under OS X, and I have no idea why.  I wish there were some
debugging tools for OpenGL, but it's all trial and error and too much
error for me at this point.

-Greg