[Radiance-general] Re: rholo?

Randolph Fritz [email protected]
Sun, 18 May 2003 22:32:11 -0700

On Wednesday, May 14, 2003, at 10:05  PM, Greg Ward wrote:

>> From: Randolph Fritz <[email protected]>

>>> Have a look in ray/obj/cabin, there are a couple of samples using
>>> the cabin model.  There are makefiles for a day and night scene,
>>> running 'make nholo' at the command line will start an interactive
>>> process of the nighttime scene for example.
>>
>> I tried it; performance is quite respectable on the fast Pentium 4 in
>> the Baker Lighting Lab.  Navigation, however, is difficult enough
>> that I think I won't be using it for this project; I don't want to
>> try to teach people how to use it under fire.  (I don't think I want
>> to learn how for this project, either!)  Maybe next time...
>
> It takes a bit of getting used to, no question.  If you have a fast
> OpenGL implementation, you'll suffer from a bug in the official 3.5
> version that causes rotation to spin wildly, which is fixed on top of
> trunk.  (I thought it was fixed in the 3.5 release, but I missed a
> zero on the delay time I added between refreshes.)  Once you're used
> to it, though, you'll find rview painful by comparison.

Thanks--I'll give it another try, then, but I'm not going to hand the
mouse to a reviewer; they'd just go bonkers.  To my frustration, this
whole issue of presentation of computer models turns out to be terribly
difficult.  I think rholo is a good part of the answer; a
constraint-based navigator built around some computer game controls--to
keep one from flying through walls and getting lost in space--would
probably satisfy the need.

>> By the way, what is the difference between the glx and ogl drivers?
>
> The glx1 driver is an older version of the ogl driver, [...]

oh, I see.  Thanks.

Randolph