[Radiance-general] falsecolor weirdness

John An [email protected]
Sun, 18 May 2003 17:30:43 -0400

Preface:
I'm sure you're all getting sick of me asking things that are probably
common knowledge to you all, but I have another question.  I searched
the web, and went through Rendering with Radiance, but still have not
been able to find the answer to my problem.  I have a presentation
tomorrow morning, and it seems like while I will have nice looking
images, the quantitative evaluation may be lacking.

Problem:
When I generate a falsecolor image of an office space I rendered, I get
a good image with a dynamic range.  The command I use is:
falsecolor -s 400 -i image.pic > image2.pic

The image I rendered was a standard Radiance image that calculates the
radiance/luminance.

The when I try to get luminance reading from the falsecolor image, the
values I get are confounding.  The brightest areas (the bright red
regions) always get at reading of 47.8L.  Surrounding areas typically
have higher values.

To try to test what was going on, I clicked on the color scale on the
falsecolor image and got readings which were not even close to what the
scale indicates.  The L values are maximum around the yellow/green
section (reading at about 120L), and decrease going toward both the
blue and section of the scale.

If anyone is reading this message on a Sunday evening, I would REALLY
appreciate it if you could fill me in on how to correct this problem.

Again, apologies if I should have RTFM, but I tried, and have had no
success thus far.

John