[Radiance-general] RE: More Results

Zack Rogers [email protected]
Fri, 16 May 2003 12:56:46 -0600

Hi Rob,

This has been a very interesting thread...many good things to know, and
once again Radiance shines on.  I was going to comment that your dealing
with a fraction of a lux difference now, there must be some sensitive
objects inside your space...is this an art gallery?  And your right,
with the logarithmic behaviour of the eye the difference becomes even
more insignificant.

That was my image in ArchRecord a couple months ago!  I'm excited
someone noticed.  I used the same CAD model to create the CFD image that
was also in the article.  It was a very interesting project, the first
project I've worked on where the plants were the most important building
occupant to provide light for.  With that project and another musuem
project, I used optics 5 a lot to look at the spectral qualities of
glass.  Optics 5, with its new Radiance output functionality, is great!
 One thing we learned, and anyone correct me if I'm mistaken, is that
the adhesive layer in laminates almost completely eliminates
ultra-violet from the spectrum.  Ultra-violet, or more accurately the
Krochmann factor (which is loosely related to UV and also determined by
optics 5), is the main component of radiation that causes degradation of
materials (artwork, furniture).  I may be completely off base by now,
but if you are concerned about obtaining such low light levels to
minimize the footcandle-hours that fall on artwork or what not, I would
look at the spectral qualities of the light you are letting in as well
as they may be more effective at preventing degradation than low light
levels.

Zack
PS.  Your blog is great!  I had planned on doing something similar
(although i typically rant and rave about politics) on my website and
wasn't aware there was a name for something like that.
www.zrogers.fpcc.net - it is not nearly complete (I just had a baby boy
last month!) but the home page was made entirely with Radiance!

--
Zack Rogers
Staff Engineer

tel (303)444-4149 ext.235