[Radiance-general] Re: Trans Oddities Part Deux

Zack Rogers [email protected]
Wed, 14 May 2003 15:09:45 -0600

Hi Rob,

My two cents on the subject.

Have you tried raising -ab?  I typically use -ab 5 when doing rtrace
calcs - and this just comes from case studies I've done and read, it
seems to get the calc within a 1% for most cases.

Also, the -av setting, for such a low light level calc seems like it
could have the impact you are seeing, as has been discussed.  Have you
run this with a -av 0 0 0 setting yet?

Are the interior illuminances you are reporting an average using a grid
of points or a single point?

Finally, the average workplane illuminance will only be linear (ie. half
the Tvis = half the workplane illuminance) to the combined Transmittance
of the skylight/shade system if the interior reflectance of the system
is constant.  I only briefly looked at how you defined the shades and
noticed the reflectance is slightly different (although it doesn't seem
different enough to give an 100% error).  I also noticed the shades are
mostly specularly transmissive.  If the skylight is not completely
diffuse transmittance, then you are getting some sort of sun patch on
your workplane.  If you are doing an average calc using a grid of
points, a sun patch could cause the average workplane to seem off,
although it may be off the same for each of your runs.

Also, perhaps a rendering of the room will reveal any oddities that are
occuring.  Whenever I get unintuitive results, a rendering will often
show me whats happening.

Hope this helps.
Zack

--