[Radiance-general] Re: Assistance required with Rendering error

[email protected] [email protected]
Mon, 5 May 2003 00:47:28 -0700

Your website is not set up correctly to view the images -- I had to
go into the HTML source in order to get the correct URLs for the referenced
images.

Carsten's suggestion of using the -DMC build option will alter the
appearance of these artifacts, but will not eliminate them.  My guess
is that the sampling noise you are seeing here  arises from specular artifacts
rather than source sampling, which is why altering the -d* options did
not correct the problem.  Unfortunately, there are no quick fixes for
specular sampling noise, but I can offer some suggestions:

1) Make sure only metallic surfaces have specular components greater than 0.06
2) Increase the basic sampling rate (i.e., use greater initial resolutions in
rpict and greater picture reductions in pfilt)
3) Decrease the value of the -sj parameter.
4) Increase the value of the -st parameter.

The use of low-discrepency sequences is a widely recognized means to
improved Monte Carlo convergence rates, and this is what Radiance
uses by default.  The -DMC option switches over to a "pure" Monte
Carlo approach, which requires longer to converge to an average but
does not contain any visible patterns in its noise.

I hope this helps.
-Greg