[Radiance-general] Radiance on bootable CDROM using Linux

Terrance Mc Minn [email protected]
Thu, 6 Mar 2003 11:02:01 +0800

Hello All,

Being a frustrated radiance user in a Microsoft operating system preferred
university, I have struck out. As part of my teaching load in the Faculty
and the Department of Architecture and Interior Architecture, I have
developed bootable PC CDROM containing Linux and Radiance 3.4.1 (patched).
This CDROM is distributed to undergraduate students taking my third year
Building Science unit in the Architecture and Interior Architecture courses.
The students are able to boot from CD in the Faculties computer laboratories
plus use the CD on home computers. There is zero software loaded on the
computers hard drive, in fact no hard drive is required  + no need for
ancillary software eg AutoCAD to be loaded. The faculties computers do have
AutoCAD but would the students home computers?

After prompting from Greg Ward, I have made available a copy of an
unpublished paper at
http://puffin2.curtin.edu.au/restricted/mcminn/papers/Flexible-Learning.pdf

This paper outlines the development of a bootable CDROM that contains a full
operating system plus all required software for the teaching of Radiance, a
sophisticated lighting simulation package. Lighting simulation programs are
vital tools for Architects and Interior Architects to visualise lighting
schemes for projects. The Radiance "package is a capable of producing
physically correct results and images that are indistinguishable from real
photographs" (Jacobs &  Solomon 2002, pg 3) This combination of application,
operating system and CDROM allows students to gain experience, via a
realistic simulation of the physical reality of the building project without
needing to install new software and applications.

The CDROM method of delivery is in its second year, we had 80+ students
using it in 2002. In 2003 the numbers are currently 96 students. The
products of their submissions were equal or better than previous years using
installed partitions, etc. Comments from the tutor, indicate that the class
experienced less computer related problems than previous years.

I would be interested in comments on my project. There are many avenues yet
to be explored.

Regards

Terry Mc Minn
Faculty of Built Environment, Art and Design
Curtin University of Technology
GPO Box U 1987
Perth 6845
Western Australia