[Radiance-general] plants and trees library

Lars O. Grobe [email protected]
Wed, 5 Mar 2003 17:33:12 +0100

> so for that i need a large variety of plants and trees.
> it would be really helpful if anybody could give me a link from where i can
> downloads different trees and plants , or if there is some command or

Hi!

3dcafe.com has a lot of free dxf and 3ds models of trees and plant, which can
be imported into radiance. If you use them as instances and exclude them from
ambient calculation, you can use lots of these detailed geometries. Take a
look at the rpict options for this, don't even think about doing ambient
calculation of detailed trees' geometries! The placement of tree and plant
instances can be done in a very comfortable way if you use a markers file,
you simply make a cad-triangle and copy this to the desired locations, using
one layer for every plant/tree type, rotate some of them randomly and take a
look at replmarks. BTW, if you have access to rayfront, this tool handles
marker files in a frontend.

However, the representation of grass might be a bit difficult.... they HAVE
3d-geometry ;-) But maybe one should use a cal file to create the grass
geometry, or does it make sense to get brd-data for grass???

Good luck, CU, Lars.