[Radiance-general] Using spline.cal to create camera paths?

Lars Grobe [email protected]
Wed, 5 Mar 2003 09:35:55 +0100 (MET)

Hi List!

I am currently trying to do some first steps in animation with radiance. I
did some search in the list's archives, as well as older radiance digests and
some basic descriptions about camera path interpolation in general. What I
found to be useable (I am not a maths expert;-) was the method described by
Greg Ward using rcalc, spline.cal and cnt to generate a view file from key
point.

So I defined a list containing 15 key points and directions, processed this
with rcalc and spline.cal, made 150 views out of this and was quite happy to
see all this was working (after having some trouble with the format-files
used by rcalc first). Than, I used rpict to render my 150 frames, and I was
quite happy with the speed on my old machine (the use of an ambient file shows
it's benefits here).

However, I didn't really get the camera path I expected to result from the
key points. I know that there are lots of parameters that define a path, not
only the key points. The problem here is that the interpolation let me to a
path that doesn't even come close to the points. So I need a method to bind the
spline generated by spline.cal closer to the defined points, making the
spline less smooth. How can I do this? Should I define more or less points? And
is there a parameter in spline.cal that can be used here?

Thank you, CU, Lars.

Bitte l�cheln! Fotogalerie online mit GMX ohne eigene Homepage!