[Radiance-general] Re: physically-based landscapes

Santiago Torres [email protected]
Wed, 4 Jun 2003 03:12:05 +0900

Dear all,

I am very interested in this topic, but I`m not sure if I understood
correctly, I must admit I`m still starting to understand Radiance.

Basically, as I understand, Carsten`s and Greg`s methods differ in that the
first maps the image in a plane situated outside the window and the second
(through an 'ad hoc' function) directly on the window plane. My question is
this:

- If one maps the image in a plane outside the window there will be some
paralax error (though minimum) which can be reduced with distance
- And if the plane is on the window this should be noticeable
- Or does it work like mkillum? would sun patches appear inside the room?
- Or else: is there any way to map a HDR image in a source, something in the
way skies are generated (maybe replacing the skyfunc?) and then use it as
any other sky and/or ground? Somehow, for me this seems to be the most
natural solution.

I hope all this makes any sense. Thank you for your help. Best,

Santiago.