[Radiance-general] Re: multiprocessor systems, Radiance, and you

Zack Rogers [email protected]
Fri, 17 Jan 2003 12:13:03 -0700

Hello,

I've been using several dual processor systems for the past year or
so...I thought I'd add my 2 cents.

Our IT guy built my machine using a Tyan motherboard and 2 - 1.8 GHz
Athlon AMD MP.  I'm told by our IT tech guy that the AMD processors are
faster doing these floating point calculations than the Pentium III or
IV counter part.  He says the Pentium's fairly new MMX instruction set
is great for new multimedia programs coming out, but the program has to
be able to take advantage of this MMX instruction set.  I guess 90% of
the programs out there are not designed to use the MMX and require the
older 387 instruction set.  So, the new Pentium's can revert back to the
387 instruction set but are slower than the AMD counter part when doing
so.  So until a version of Radiance is compiled that takes advantage of
MMX, I believe AMD processors will perform better.  I am not an expert
on all this, I hope I have not misstated anything as I am just passing
along what was told to me, but if you have any other questions on the
specifics of our dual processor machines please feel free to ask.  We
have built several for both Radiance and CFD modeling and so have some
experience with this.

My machine has been working great for me.  I run Windows NT on it but I
also use several other Dual Processor machines running Suse8.0.  On both
OS's, the Radiance simulations run on only a single processor.  I will
typically have numerous parametric designs, and so this works for me.  I
will usually just load up each processor and run them in parallel.  I'm
sure there is a way to get them to run in series, but I too have much to
learn about Radiance and have no idea how.  I would recommend the Suse
OS, it has worked great for us, although I have no experience with any
other Linux OS so I have nothing to compare it to.  Radiance did compile
easily on it and it runs great.  Radiance does run as a friendly process
on it, sharing the processor with other programs, which is nice.  Our
CFD programs our processor hogs.

Hope this is of some help!
~Zack

--
Celebrating 20 Years of Improving Building Energy Performance

Zack Rogers
Staff Engineer
Architectural Energy Corporation
2540 Frontier Avenue, Suite 201