[Radiance-general] multiprocessor systems, Radiance, and you

Georg Mischler [email protected]
Fri, 17 Jan 2003 13:12:04 -0500 (EST)

Rob Guglielmetti wrote:

> I was hoping for the ability to make both cpus appear as one,
> transparently to Radiance.

I don't expect this to happen. Actual job management is outside
of the scope of core Radiance, and belongs into user interface
level applications.

> > I didn't check: Is PVM also available for Windows?
>
> Yes (http://www.csm.ornl.gov/pvm/pvm_home.html).  Maybe the beginnings
> of the next feature of Rayfront?  =8-)

As has been discussed before, everybody wants a reliable, platform
independent, and network transparent ambient data sharing mechanism.
If PVM can solve this task better through inter-process communication
than the old file locking trickery, then that's certainly worth a
closer look. Again, that's only the actual functionality. Any higher
level coordination between the jobs should be handled by other tools.

-schorsch

--
Georg Mischler  --  simulations developer  --  schorsch at schorsch com
+schorsch.com+  --  lighting design tools  --  http://www.schorsch.com/