[Radiance-general] multiprocessor systems, Radiance, and you

Lars O. Grobe [email protected]
Fri, 17 Jan 2003 12:40:25 +0100

Hi,

I still didn't manage to try it wirh radiance, but (open)mosix might be a
great addition, as it represents a cluster as a smp-machine, so you don't
need rsh and co., and it has an included file system that gives you access to
all clustered filesystems. So the nfs issue might belong to the past in
mosix-environments.

Regarding the original question: I didn't need more than on processor working
on a scene so far. Current machines usually render one picture in a time to
short to make me think about using rpiece, if I need more than one picture, I
usually start two rendering processes (I had some very large renderings with
5000x5000 pixel on a 4way-Sun 880, that was one case that I had more than one
rendering process at a time). Of course, the memory might become a problem if
you do so.

I still want to try mosix, but at the moment, I simply don't have the time ;-)

CU, Lars.