[Radiance-general] multiprocessor systems, Radiance, and you

Rob Guglielmetti [email protected]
Thu, 16 Jan 2003 12:13:09 -0500

Howdy folks-

After spending the last couple of months getting up to speed with
Radiance (the workshop in Freibourg was really, really, good at showing
me how much I had to learn, how behind the curve I was [am]), and
performing hunderds of rtrace jobs, and compiling a cohesive analytical
report on the data, our client has responded:

They want more.

You all know how it is, once you show someone what is possible with
Radiance, they start thinking "what would it look like if we did this,
or this, or this, or this, etc, etc....".  So we intend to show them
some of these options.

While I'm thrilled to be doing more with Radiance, I'm now Desperately
Seeking Cycles, CPU horsepower that is.  After Jack's fifteen minute
rendering claim at the workshop -- Yes Jack, that's what you said, we
all heard you ;-) -- for a single dual Athlon box, I'm thinking this is
what I want to do.  I don't need NFS lock headaches right now, I have
enough problems.  So I'm looking to build one very fast box, and I'm
hoping to make it a dualie, and skip the LAN based render farm for now.

(several paragraphs later he gets to the questions...)  My questions are
for those of you on the list with MP linux experience.  I guess I'm hazy
on the way the two processors are utilized.  Do you tend to run one job
on one CPU and a second one on the other, or do you use rpiece to work
one job across both, as if the the CPUs are two different hosts?  Or is
there some OS and/or Radiance compile tweak that you do to simply make
both CPUs act as one, obviating the need for rpiece? Seems like you
still need rpiece so the ambient cache is managed properly. As far as
CPU, do I *have* to use the Athlon MP, or can I run two XPs?  Anyone
have hardware recommendations?  I like Abit motherboards, but they don't
seem to offer a dual socket variant.  What about OS?  I had great
success with RHL 8.0 on an old Dell -- it installed and compiled
Radiance without a single hiccup.  Anyone using it on a dual box?  Any
compile changes to either the OS or Radiance?

Any info, urls or advice would be greatly appreciated.

----

      Rob Guglielmetti

e. [email protected]
w. www.rumblestrip.org