[Radiance-general] Radiance, POV-Ray and parallel global illumination?

George Pantazopoulos [email protected]
Sat, 01 Feb 2003 11:49:08 -0500

Hello all,

	I am a programmer working with the POV-Ray raytracer. As you may know, for
global illumination, POV-Ray uses a version of the irradiance caching
algorithm from Mr. Ward's paper "A Ray Tracing Solution for Diffuse
Interreflection" (Ward, Rubenstein, and Clear). Presumably Radiance uses a
similar, but more advanced version of the same algorithm for its global
illumination simulation.

	I'm trying to get parallel rendering working, but there is a problem. If
the image is divided into tiles, and rendered with POV-Ray and global
illumination, each finished tile has a different basic brightness level.
And when the final image is reassembled from the tiles, the effect is like
a checkerboard or patchwork. In short, it ruins the final image. Apparently
each render slave *needs* to have the entire scene octree available to it,
somehow. There has been an effort to share the octree data with the other
slaves as soon as it is generated, however this is only partially
successful and does not always suppress the artifacts I mentioned. (Here is
a link to the pvmegapov page http://www.wozzeck.net/images/pmp/ )

	I'm wondering if Radiance handles this problem in a fundamentally
different way, which I could learn from. Some basic parallel Radiance info
I read did not mention this problem at all, so hopefully you guys already
have a solution. Any suggestions would be most appreciated!

Thanks,
George Pantazopoulos