[Radiance-general] mkillum q's

Rob Guglielmetti [email protected]
Tue, 2 Dec 2003 22:12:20 -0500

On Dec 2, 2003, at 8:39 PM, Fitzsimmons, Rob wrote:

> I'm trying to use mkillum to render my house.. and I'm having trouble
> understanding it.

Hi Rob F,

As Georg mentioned, you only need to reference your windows once, in
the illum= line.  Also, your "illum=" options are a little off, as
Georg also mentioned.  Greg Ward explained this to me rather well, in
an email that is either on my office computer or on my PC upstairs,
because it ain't on the laptop sitting on my lap at the moment (I
really need to start using IMAP).

Anyway, you basically have to tell mkillum what's going on with your
model in the illum= line, because all your input with QUALITY=,
VARIABILITY= and DETAIL= in the .rif file mean absolutely nothing to
the mkillum process.  This is something that is not well documented,
IMHO.

Make sure your illum= line includes sufficent -ab, and -ad, and -ar,
and -as to ensure that the mkillum process is aggressively calculated.
As Georg said, if you wimp out with the ambient calculation on your
windows, the effect of the exterior environment will be largely ignored
in terms of the distribution of the windows' luminance. Bottom line:
just because you're using rad, that does not exempt you from having to
be intimate with the various rpict switches for a proper rendering if
you're using mkillum. (and please don't read this as some guru talking
down to you; I'm still learning this stuff myself.)

I hope this helps.

Rob Gee.

   Rob Guglielmetti
[email protected]