[Radiance-general] Re: ies2rad

Rob Guglielmetti [email protected]
Mon, 25 Aug 2003 23:54:44 -0400

On Monday, August 25, 2003, at 06:13 PM, Greg Ward wrote:

> Hi Rob,
>
> You must have missed the caveat in the Radiance reference manual
> relating to instances, which specifically states that light sources do
> not work within instances.  There are a couple of reasons for this,
> the main one being to discourage people from creating thousands of
> light sources in their scenes, which is a disaster for the calculation
> times.  If you need to do this, use the -x option of replmarks instead
> of -i and just create copies of the geometry.  If the geometry itself
> is too complicated, instance all the geometry except for the actual
> emitting surfaces, and put them in with replmarks -x.

THanks Greg (and Martin).  I'll have a look at this tomorrow. Man, what
flexibility Radiance users have!  Even though you can't instance light
sources, you can separate the geometry from the emitter if you want to,
in the case of a complex luminaire, to get the best of both worlds.
That's great.

Rob Guglielmetti
[email protected]
www.rumblestrip.org