[Radiance-general] ies2rad

Rob Guglielmetti [email protected]
Mon, 25 Aug 2003 17:48:13 -0400

Some of you may remember about a week ago I tuned with news of a broken
Radiance installation, broken because I was trying to upgrade to 3.5 so
I could begin experimenting with ies2rad.  Well, my machine is fixed
(the HEAD release compiled just fine, thanks for the advice Francesco),
so I am playing around with this ies2rad business, and naturally, I'm
showing up here once again scratching my head.  I'd like to be able to
use ies2rad to build a luminaire library of frozen octrees, and then use
replmarks to rapidly get CAD layouts into my Radiance models.

I did this:

$ ies2rad -di -t default -u white -m (various) -o dl Dla216.ies

$ oconv -f  dl.rad > dl.oct

$ replmarks -i dl.oct room_llights room_llights.tmp > lights.rad

$ oconv mats.rad *.rad > room.oct

Then I looked at the octree in rview.  There are glowing discs where the
fixtures are, and the intensity of them changes accordingly when you try
different multipliers (-m) in ies2rad.  Problem is, the room is totally
dark.  A quick look at the scene files in objview reveals everything to
be in order, but when lit with my new lights, I got me one black room.
All points in the room are 0L, except for the fixture's luminous
aperture. The ies file is just your basic run-of-the-mill Edison Price
6" downlight, fresh off the internet.  Ian Ashdown's IES file parser
doesn't have any beefs with the file, and indeed it looks fine upon
visual inspection.

What the heck am I missing?

----

      Rob Guglielmetti