[Radiance-general] Understanding Limit Reflection

Marcus Jacobs [email protected]
Sat, 23 Aug 2003 13:42:25 +0000

Dear Group

I am wondering if anyone could give me an in depth explaination of how the
-lr parameter in rpict works? I have noticed that setting high can greatly
increase computation time so I wish to find out how to better optimize this
parameter. I know there was something in "Rendering with Radiance" on this
but unfortunately my book is packed away in a box as I am moving right now.
Does this parameter affect the ambient calculation? If so then how? When I
read the description in the Radiance manual it simply says "Limit
reflections to a maximum of N". Does this limit the amount of ambient
bounces set with -ab? May I ask does this parameter deals with the virtual
light source calculation only? If I do not have many (if any) virtual light
sources is setting this value to 1 or 2 acceptible? Does setting this value
this low greatly adverse to the accuracy of the calculation if there are not
many virrtual light sources?

Regards

Marcus