[Radiance-general] aiming illums, orthographic projection, and hiding surfaces

John An [email protected]
Wed, 30 Apr 2003 13:48:43 -0700

Hi all,

I had previously posted on this list requesting help installing Radiance on Mac OS X Jaguar.  Thanks for all who helped.  I know have it installed, and have started playing around with it.  I have walked through the online tutorial, and have ordered Rendering with Radiance, and am anxious to get it in my hands.  In the meantime (it is currently out of stock), I need to get an analysis completed for a project I am working on, and would appreciate some help.

However, the following problems have occured under Linux (I haven't had a chance to run this on the Mac).
First, when I use rview to preview my scene, everything seems to pop up normally (I get an image).  However, when I use the rpict command, I always get the message
"warning - aiming failure for light source [a]" where a stands for an illum object (the window in the scene).  As of now, I am only analyzing daylighting, so I have no other light sources in the scene.

Second, I'm sure this is covered in "Rendering with Radiance," but is there a way to get orthogonal and orthographic projected views in Radiance?  Moreover, is there a way to make a surface invisible, yet be considered in the lighting calculation?  I would like to look into an interior space in an axonometric view, but look through the ceiling and 1 or 2 walls to see the light distribution throughout a single space.

Thanks.

John An