[Radiance-general] graphics card support in Linux (RedHat 7.2)

Georg Mischler [email protected]
Thu, 3 Apr 2003 22:01:14 -0500 (EST)

Jacqueline Snyder wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I plan to install RADIANCE 3.1 on a Linux (RedHat 7.2) platform on a
> laptop (IBM Thinkpad T-series, 2 GHz, 1024 MB).
>
> Does anyone know which graphics cards are compatible with RADIANCE 3.1?
> In particular, would I run into any problems with an 16 Mg ATI Mobility
> Radeon 7500?

Radiance as such works with any graphics card, or even without one.
If you plan on using rholo, then hardware OpenGL acceleration may be
desirable. On Linux, this is acheived either through the X11 server
or directly through the mesa library.

The XFree86 driver status page claims that there is accelerated
support for several Rage Mobility varieties in the current version:
  http://www.xfree86.org/current/Status6.html
You'll have to check if your card is among those listed.
If 3d acceleration is not supported with your card, then OpenGL
graphics will be rendered in software mode, which shouldn't be a
problem either.

-schorsch

--
Georg Mischler  --  simulations developer  --  schorsch at schorsch com
+schorsch.com+  --  lighting design tools  --  http://www.schorsch.com/