[Radiance-general] Re: Radiance for Mac OS X

Greg Ward [email protected]
Mon, 2 Sep 2002 08:25:45 -0700

Hi Galen,

I just uploaded a new copy of the Radiance binaries for Mac OS X v10.2
(Jaguar), since the old 10.1 binaries don't seem to work on the new
version of the operating system.  There are no "Dummy" pages for
Radiance, and no dummies as far as I know who can do anything with the
software...  We really should have some quick introduction somewhere, I
suppose.  Right now, the README file that comes with the main
distribution is about all we have, and that's probably out of date.

Anyway, to install Radiance on your system, just grab the main
distribution from the website Download link
(http://radsite.lbl.gov/radiance of course), then download the MacOS X
binaries from the same place.  Copy the binaries to /usr/local/bin or
someplace like that, and the libraries (ray/lib in the main
distribution) to /usr/local/lib/ray.  This is explained on the download
page as well.

Unfortunately, there is a small snag in this procedure, which is that
it fails to install certain critical library files, such as
"rayinit.cal", which are normally copied as part of the makeall build
process.  Therefore, it's often best to run "makeall install" anyway on
your system, to make sure you get everything, in which case the
binaries aren't really needed, unless of course you don't have the
developer tools that come free with Mac OS X installed on your system.

To manually copy all the library files, just execute the following
commands after you've unpacked the ray directory:

% cd ray
% cp -rp lib /usr/local/lib/ray
% cp -p src/*.cal /usr/local/lib/ray

That should do it!