[Radiance-general] Re: colorpict modifiers in instances and frozen

Greg Ward [email protected]
Tue, 22 Oct 2002 09:52:07 -0700

> From: "Lars O. Grobe" <[email protected]>
>> Only if the colorpict pattern was included in the original file you
>> used to create your octree instance.  If it is defined in a separate
>> material file included with the scene containing the instance, the
>> transformation will not be applied the same way.
>
> I think I understand, while I still don't get this working. I have
> added some
> lines to my Makefile now that copy the lines defining the colorpict
> modifier
> into the geometry file of the instance instead of defining the
> colorpict
> modifier in my global materials file. So I have a objectname.rad.mat
> file for
> every object, which is included into the the file I get from dxf2rad.
> This
> file has a statement "void colorpict mypattern....", and a line
> "mypattern
> alias l_object mymaterial", with mymaterial defined in the global
> materials
> file. This should work...?

Maybe it's time to break down and share some of your files, so I can
figure out what's going on.  Mail them to me directly, rather than
adding to the chatter on the list...

>> Replmarks replaces the markers with transformed scene files (or
>> instances), and as long as you put the related colorpict's in the
>> transformed scene files (or instances), and not in the replmarks
>> input,
>> you should be OK.
>
> Now I'm really not sure anymore if I understood anything right... If I
> putanything (geometry and colorpict statement) into the instance, and
> place
> this instance in my scene with replmarks, the colorpict mapping will be
> transformed to the position of the instance!??? So, if I have an plane
> at
> 0;0;0, with a mapping (using picture.cal, pic_u, pic_v) applied with
> colorpict without any transformation (which means it is at 0;0;0 on the
> plane), I than oconv this into an octree, and place this octree with
> replmarks into my scene, the plane with it's pattern will appear at the
> triangle markers positions, not only the transformed geometry without
> pattern?

It sounds like you understand things perfectly.  The xform command (and
the instance primitive) add transformations to the surfaces and
materials to which they are applied.  They don't affect materials
contained elsewhere.  It's really no more complicated than that.

-Greg