[Radiance-general] Rendering Panoramas

Lars O. Grobe [email protected]
Wed, 27 Nov 2002 13:07:16 +0100

Hi!

> I'm interested to hear everyone's thoughts on the use of make vs.
> shell scripts.  Since I'm more of a user than a programmer, I
> gravitated to shell scripts because they are really just regurgitated
> commands, which is the way I tend to think.  But if the "next level" is
> make, then I'm all ears.  What are you all using out there in the real
> world?

I am using make here for several reasons. First, only using rad would not be
sufficient, as I build documentation (from docbook), convert the model
(dxf2rad) and mappings (ra_tiff, normpat), build octrees that are used as
instances etc with make. And shell scripts tend to get more and more
complicated if you add objects and "features" later, what is what we are
currently doing here. With make, you add simply one more target. And it does
check a lot of requirements for me, e.g. I don't have to run octree if I do a
"make doc".

Besides, I was simply curious in using some of the well known tools in this
context, make is one example ;-)

CU, Lars.