[Radiance-general] Re: where to get GretagMacbeth ColorCheck/ColorChecker

Greg Ward [email protected]
Sun, 3 Nov 2002 23:06:53 -0800

> From: Randolph Fritz <[email protected]>:
> Hey, Greg, have you considered adding ICC color profile support to some
> Radiance components, perhaps the PNG image conversion program?  That
> would allow Radiance users to make use of the tools that the various
> commerical graphic arts software people have developed; MacOS X and
> some
> Windows users would--if their systems were properly set up--get the
> ability to print color predictably.  (Not sure if there's direct
> PostScript support for ICC color profiles.)
>
> Randolph

Color in rendering is an interesting problem.  The main source of color
mismatches is going to be the relationship between the scene illuminant
and the surface reflectances, which is of course ignored by ICC
profiles.  The color space used by Radiance is close to the sRGB
primaries, but not exactly those.  To convert to sRGB from a standard
Radiance picture, use the following command:

	% ra_xyze -r -p .64 .33 .30 .15 .06 .313 .329 stand.pic | ra_tiff -g
2.2 - srgb.tif

 From there, you should be able to print and get reliable color results
on most systems, including Macs and PCs, since they assume sRGB given
no other information.

However, the point I was trying to make was unless you have very
carefully rendered your scene in order to arrive at the standard
Radiance color space, these sorts of manipulations are futile.  To read
in greater detail how to compute color correctly, including full
spectral effects, see the recent paper I wrote with Elena
Vileshin-Eydelberg:

	http://viz.cs.berkeley.edu/gwlarson/papers/egwr02/

This covers important issues such as white balance and optimal
rendering color spaces.  Radiance can render in any RGB space you
choose -- they are just three separate color channels as far as the ray
tracer is concerned.

-Greg

P.S.  Have you ever taken a look at the ICC specification?  Eeeeeyuckkk!