[Radiance-general] Re: computing illuminance across a grid

Raphaël Compagnon [email protected]
Fri, 24 May 2002 18:55:29 +0200

>The only thing we all missed is that the rillum script does exist in the
>Unix distribution -- it's just called "rlux".  It wasn't until schorsch
>pointed out the contents that I recognized it.  I thought rillum might
>do something more than this.

Beware! In fact rlux is not exactly similar to rillum since it calls rtrace
with option -i+ instead of -I

rlux is supposed to be used in conjunction with ximage to compute
irradiance at locations in the scene selected from an already exsiting
picture like this:

ximage picture.pic | rlux (rtrace options) octreefile
where octreefile is the same that served for producing the picture

>From ximage use command "t" to send the x,y,z,xdir,ydir,zdir values to rlux
that will then compute the illuminance reaching the first encountred
surface in this direction.

Raphaël

Raphael Compagnon
HES-SO Ecole d'ingenieurs et d'architectes de Fribourg
Bd. de Perolles 80, 1705 Fribourg  Switzerland
Tel:    +41 26 429 6666 or +41 26 429 6611 (secretariat)
Fax:    +41 26 429 6600
E-Mail: [email protected]    WWW: http://www.eif.ch