[Radiance-general] computing illuminance across a grid

Rob Guglielmetti [email protected]
Wed, 22 May 2002 15:58:28 -0400

Me again.  I have a couple of test scenes I'm
experimenting with, and I'd now like to use rtrace et. al.
to automate the extraction of illuminance levels to a file.

>From a Radiance digest:
> As an example of producing illuminance values at regularly
> spaced points on a 4x5 workplane, you might use the
> following command:
>
>  % cnt 3 4 | rcalc -e
>  '$1=$1+.5;$2=$2+.5;$3=1;$4=0;$5=0;$6=1' \
>   | rtrace -h -I [options] octree \
>   | rcalc -e '$1=179*(.3*$1+.59*$2+.11*$3)' > outfile

Could you decipher this a little bit?  I don't see where you
feed it the 4x5 grid.  Also, looking at the manpage, it
looks like rtrace with the -I switch takes the input origin &
direction and interprets it as "measurement point and
orientation".

I tried something like:
rtrace -h -I 60 60 30 0 0 1 scene.oct

I thought this would give me the irradiance at a point 60"
over(+x), 60" up (+y), and 30" off the floor (+z), whth the
"light meter" facing up along the z axis.  But this gave me
an error at the command line.  WHat is the proper syntax?
 I was hoping to fill a text file with measurement points
and feed it to rtrace, and use something like your script
above to produce a table of measurement points and
corresponding illuminance values...

 Rob Guglielmetti <[email protected]>
    http://home.earthlink.net/~rpg777