[Radiance-general] Too many questions to fit in the subject

Rob Guglielmetti [email protected]
Thu, 9 May 2002 11:50:50 -0400

Hello all.  Some of you know me, many do not.  But I have
been experimenting with Radiance lately.  Thanks to Greg
who tipped me off to the power of OS X (and his pre-
compiled binaries for 3.4).  I struggled with LINUX many
times, but never got a totally functional system; I was
rpicting all over the place after a week on OS X.  =8-)

Anyway, now that I'm getting a feel for how the various
programs work together, I have gone back and am now
reading the old Radiance Digests.  This has been helpful.
Those things read like a "Who's Who in the Radiance
Community".  And to see many of the gurus, with more
questions than answers, makes me feel like someday I
may get my head around all of this stuff!  Of course, many
of those messages are eight years old.  Hmmm...

Enough rambling.  Questions:

Philip Thompson, way back in '94, inquired about the
ability to show surface normal orientation in rview.  Was
this ever developed?  My frame of reference is Lightscape,
which has been excellent in this regard.  Surface normals
can be interractively viewed, and backfaces are displayed
in a garish green color.  Incorrectly oriented surfaces can
be flipped with a click of a button.  It was only after my
initial experiments that I learned surface normal
orientation is a non-issue in Radiance (excepting windows
via mkillum).

Failing rview, what other geometry previewers are you
folks using?  Ole Lemming's ConRad has a useful
previewer, that operates similarly to the "view setup"
dialog in Lightscape.  I really think this would speed
things along for me, the ability to interractively orbit a
scene & check for modeling errors, normal orientation, etc,
and most importantly, SETTING VIEWS.  THis is a real
hassle when you have to provide vp, vd as 3D points.  Are
there other previewers besides ConRad?

Greg in one of the digests said windows can be modelled
using a single plane of glass.  (I'm used to Lightscape's
requirement of two opposite-facing planes, lest you get
refraction errors in a raytrace.)  Does this hold true for the
rest of the building?  IOW, a simple room can be modelled
with a single genbox?  I have been creating an inner
room and an outer "shell".  Again, this may be my
Lightscape logic getting in the way of things here.  Of
course for detailed renderings you *have* to model the
wall thickness, but for daylighting analysis, would a single
box (with windows of course) suffice?  In Lightscape you
would get "light leaks" around the corners of the interior
as sunlight affected the vertices unless you enclosed the
interior with an outer shell.

Re: skies.  Gensky (directed by George Mischler's radout)
creates a description of the sky & ground luminance, and
creates two colored hemispheres.  I have seen some
special sky textures available for mapping to a sphere for
more realistic environments.  How do these work?  Are
they transparent placeholders, which merely display a
picture of the sky but allow the sun & sky luminance to
"pass through", or do they actually modulate the sky
luminance as a function of the chromacity of the pixels in
the sky image?

I have been using George Mischler's radout to bring
geometry from AutoCAD to radiance.  But there doesn't
seem to be a way to handle blocks.  It would be great if
there was a way to substitute autocad blocks for
instanced rad files!  One could export the blocks as
separate rad files, but is there a way to take a series of
insertion point coordinates and build a rad file that
instances the "block" rad file at those
coords/orientations?  That seems to be the key to being
able to rapidly change scenes, and stay accurate.  Anyone
doing this type of thing already?

Along those lines, is there a way to create a grid or really
any series of points in autocad (via nodes, or blocks or
whatever) and then have the coordinates of those points
be fed to rtrace for lighting analysis?  I know you can feed
rtrace the points, but I'm interested in a way to have
autocad export the information rather than me figure out
the points manually.  I like to draw the stuff and have
CAD keep track of all the math, ya know?

I found a nice collection of materials online (Kevin
Matthews, Design Workshop).  Some of the cal files are
missing, but many of the materials are usable.  Does
anyone else have material & light libraries they are willing
to share?  I'm also really interested in obtaining
definitions of translucent materials, such as one would
find in a light fixture (sandblasted glass, acrylic, etc).

Paul Bourke offers some great tree examples.  Again,
does anyone have other blocks they are willing to share
(vegetation, furniture, you name it)??  =8-)

Paul also has a benchmark page:
http://astronomy.swin.edu.au/~pbourke/radiance |
/benchrad/

I tried the first one and my PowerBook G4 550 rendered it
in 582 secs, which is almost exactly three times as long as
the render time for a 1.5 GHz P4 (see the site for more
times).  Is it just coincidence, or is there a fairly direct
correlation between CPU speed and render time,
regardless of processor type?  Makes Apple's ad copy
about the "Velocity engine" in the G4 seem like a load of
bunk (which I suspected in the first place).   Don't get me
wrong, I love this Mac.  But it seems that when I finally
am ready to do production work with Radiance I'm gonna
have to learn LINUX once and for all.  The cheapest cpu
cycles are with homebuilt PCs, so it seems that's the way
to go.  Interestingly, there is a benchmark for a dual 2GHz
PC, which was only 50% faster than the single 1.5 GHz.
I'm interested in parallel processing, but this seems to
make a case against it.  What are your experiences out
there in the field?

Woah.  That got long in a hurry.  I'll leave it at that for
now.  More questions to follow hopefully.  I'd greatly
appreciate any responses to my inquiries above.

 Rob Guglielmetti <[email protected]>
    http://home.earthlink.net/~rpg777