[Radiance-general] Re: Compilation on Solaris 8

Greg Ward [email protected]
Sun, 31 Mar 2002 09:45:35 -0800

Hi Stephane,

You should generally ignore warning messages from the Radiance
compilations -- fatal errors and missing binaries are the real concern.
In the case of Solaris, there is a problem with the "install" program
used by the TIFF library, which I have not been able to manage to work
around.  The reason that none of the picture processing tools got
installed was because of the failure in the src/px directory to make
ra_tiff and normtiff, which depend on the TIFF library.

The solution to this problem is to change to the src/px/tiff/libtiff
directory and run "make install", then manually move the libtiff.a
program to the ../../lib directory like so:

	mv libtiff.a ../../lib

Then, pop up to the px directory and rerun "rmake install" like so:

	rmake install

That should install the picture filters.  I wish I knew how to fix the
TIFF library, but the install script is horribly complicated and uses
the Bourne shell, which is something of a mystery to me....

-Greg