[Radiance-general] Creating texture maps, again

Georg Mischler [email protected]
Wed, 27 Mar 2002 20:41:29 -0500 (EST)

Randolph Fritz wrote:

> I'm wanting to create a Radiance texture and pattern for large,
> light-colored pea gravel.  Any thoughts on the best way to do this?

Um, convert a picture of the stuff to the radiance format
and apply it to your ground... Or did you have something
more elaborate in mind?

If you need to make sure that the reflectivity is correct,
then you can process the result with the normpat script,
which unfortunately is only available for unix systems.

If I remember correctly, then I've had mixed results with
the filtering functions in normpat, but that probable depends
on the characteristics of your picture. Maybe you can
process the original image with one of the common texture
editor programs around so that it tiles nicely. Most people
use those for creating background for their desktops or web
pages, but they serve equally well for this purpose.

-schorsch

Georg Mischler  --  simulations developer  --  schorsch at schorsch.com
+schorsch.com+  --  lighting design tools  --  http://www.schorsch.com/