[Radiance-general] Re: Problem with avlmemi

Greg Ward [email protected]
Fri, 8 Mar 2002 14:30:40 -0800

SIGH...

I wish to heaven they would fix the qsort() routine so it would stop
haunting me...  How can something so basic and necessary remain broken
for so many years??

I should really have put the -Dtracktime=0 switch into the makeall
script for Linux, but since it shows up in a number of other places that
use the GNU libraries, this probably wouldn't fix everyone's problem.  I
thought the Linux folks had repaired it, to be honest.

It's true that modern VM systems are quite good when it comes to
swapping, but also true that highly fragmented memory access is always a
performance hit when you run out of RAM, so I'm reluctant just to remove
the optimization altogether.  It does work on systems that don't use the
GNU libraries....  At the very least, I should recompile the Linux
binaries on the website.

Have people been getting this error with the compiled binaries, or just
ones they compiled themselves from the 3.4 source?

-Greg