[Radiance-general] Re: gendaylit

Reinhart, Christoph [email protected]
Thu, 13 Jun 2002 08:15:39 -0400

Rapha�l wrote:

> My experience with gendaylit is that it is a rather reliable
> program. Its
> validation is documented in gendaylit author's master thesis.

I can add to this that my former colleagues at the Fraunhofer ISE and I have
been using gendaylit extensively over the past years and all in all the
results seem to be very reliable under a wide range of sky conditions (just
around sunrise and sunset you can easily run into errors).

We kind of "validated" the gendaylit source code in a study in which be
measured and simulated indoor illuminances based on direct/diffuse
irradiances under over 10,000 sky conditions and the results were rather
encouraging.

C. F. Reinhart, 0. Walkenhorst, "Dynamic RADIANCE-based Daylight Simulations
for a full-scale Test Office with outer Venetian Blinds", Energy &
Buildings, Vol. 33 pp. 683-697, 2001

In case anybody wants the pdf-file, just drop me a line.

Christoph

Christoph Tito Reinhart, Dr. Ing., Dipl.-Phys., M.Sc.    tel: (613) 993-9703
Research Officer
fax: (613) 954-3733
m 24 Institute for Research in Construction                 e-mail:
[email protected]
National Research Council Canada
http://www.nrc.ca/irc/ie/light/daysim.html
Montreal Road, Ottawa                                               Ont K1A
0R6, Canada