[Radiance-general] CVS?

Roland Schregle [email protected]
Sun, 09 Jun 2002 01:21:46 +0200

Peter Apian-Bennewitz wrote:

> Georg Mischler wrote:
> >
> > Randolph Fritz wrote:

> > > Are there formal plans to do this at this point, do you know?  Is
> > > LBL going to continue to maintain radsite?
> >
> > >From my side, that was more like a hidden suggestion... ;)
> > It certainly would make a lot of sense though.
>
> positively a good idea. IMHO a full rewrite would be a better
> investment, timewise, than an ANSIfication, at least for the existing
> core rendering. I'm not saying the core is badly written or
> malfunctioning. Just that any code tends to grow over the years and
> accumulated insights are sometimes best served when starting freshly
> with a blank sheet. - Greg ?

I second that. Additionally we might consider stepping up to C++. A
package the size of RADIANCE screams for modularity. I'm not saying we
should make liberal use of those mindbending abstractions OOP has to
offer, but simply *organise* the code and facilitate extensions. Of
course this has to be weighed against  potential portability problems.
Can C++ compilers be taken for granted on all platforms nowadays?

--Roland

--
"Life is too short for core dumps"