[Radiance-general] memory errors in 3.4

Greg Ward [email protected]
Wed, 30 Jan 2002 09:34:28 -0800

Hi Lars,

You should check that you don't have a limit placed on your data size if
you are getting out-of-memory errors.  Run the command in csh or tcsh:

% limit

It should give you a list of resource limits currently in effect.  If
the datasize says anything besides "unlimited", you should run the
command "unlimit datasize" before running Radiance.  Better still, but
such a command in your .cshrc or .tcshrc file in your home directory.
If you are still getting out-of-memory errors after that, there is
either a problem with your virtual memory size or a problem with
Radiance.

Raphael wrote to tell me that ximage does a segmentation fault when you
re-expose the image in his version of Linux.  I found the problem -- a
pointer was being freed twice due to a library call that either changed
or always freed twice and no one noticed before.  Anyway, I've fixed the
problem and will quietly put it into this release rather than creating a
patch, so you might want to download it again or patch it yourself if
you have a slow connection with the following code change:

ray/src/px/x11image.c (line 781):
	free(ourdata);
change to:
	/* free(ourdata);       This is done in XDestroyImage()! */

Then simply run "rmake install" in that directory, presuming you've run
"makeall install" previously.  Running "makeall install" again also
works.

Regarding pcond and macbethcal, I don't know what the problem is, but I
don't recommend this method anymore, anyway.  Macbathcal works very well
on calibrating input paths, but less well on calibrating output paths.
Unfortunately, I don't have a really good solution to offer for this at
the moment....

-Greg